Timing out question

Tournaments organization / Organisation des tournois
curseyoukhan

Timing out question

Post by curseyoukhan »

I'm playing in my first Mem 44 tournament (started yesterday) and there's something I really don't understand. I got timed out in two games (my opponent only expelled me in one) and I was sitting in front of my computer the whole time and making moves whenever I got a go to table notification. I have since gotten another timed out loss over night. Meanwhile in a bunch of my games its been someone else's turn for awhile (i don't mind that). What are the rules around timing? How did I time out when I was never notified it was my turn? In the game I wasn't expelled from, my opponent had 10 hours on the clock and I was in the red even though I never left the game. We played it like a non-tourney 2p with both of us there for the entire game. Am I doing something wrong?

Thanks for the info. Links to FAQ/Threads very appreciated.
nik592

Re: Timing out question

Post by nik592 »

Per the comment on the table final score screen: "The game was abandoned automatically because the players did not manage to finish it before the next round of the tournament. The player with the most remaining thinking time wins the game."

So you didn't time out, the game ran out of the allotted time (24 hours per game for this tournament). In the one I looked at, it took about 11 hours for you to make your first move. Then a bunch of moves happened, then a break of about 8 hours before the other player took one final move, then 5 hours later, the game timed out. With tournaments, you need to be aware that there is a timeout that happens for each game, as well as each player being allocated an appropriate portion of that time to think (so in this case, 2 players, 12 hours each - in a 4 player game limited to 24 hours total, each player would get only 6 hours of thinking time).
curseyoukhan

Post by curseyoukhan »

any explanation about the time outs that happened while I was playing them?
nik592

Post by nik592 »

You have a bunch of Memoir 44 games that ended early, but a couple were conceded, quite a few timed out the whole game as I said, and in one it looks like you were booted (and that's the only booting you've had in the last 2 months). If the whole game times out, it doesn't matter if you're actively playing or not. I've never had it happen, but I assume once that time runs out, the game is just over. Which table in particular do you think behaved differently to this?
Bcbubbles

Post by Bcbubbles »

It is happening to me quite a bit ...frustrating! I am checking in constantly I am about to win and I get booted and take a penalty that affects the rest of my experience so I am now done with tournaments
nik592

Post by nik592 »

I didn't look at all your history, but if you run out of time in tournaments, your opponent can boot you, whether you are regularly playing moves, about to win or anything else, and that's what I saw in your recent games where it ended abnormally. That timing for tournaments isn't always great is another discussion entirely (and you'll see it here in other threads). The OP seems to think something other than ending via booting, or table time expired is going on - if you think the same, point out a table and the users here will try to help you figure it out (or it could be a bug that needs to be raised). But it's hard to know what you mean without referring to a specific table.
curseyoukhan

Post by curseyoukhan »

Bcbubbles wrote: 25 July 2023, 03:54 It is happening to me quite a bit ...frustrating! I am checking in constantly I am about to win and I get booted and take a penalty that affects the rest of my experience so I am now done with tournaments
Same here. There's no explanation for why I'm running out of time and my opponent isn't.

This is the game where I ran out of time even though I was playing immediately each time and my opponent didn't boot me: #399382077 I think it says the game lasted 848 mn?? It certainly did not. It was a standard length game finished maybe 30 minutes after it started.

This is the one where I got booted: #399381967. It supposedly lasted 785 minutes. It didn't There was maybe 15-20 minutes before I ran out of time which makes no sense because I should have the same 10hrs as my opponent.
nik592

Post by nik592 »

curseyoukhan wrote: 25 July 2023, 23:15 Same here. There's no explanation for why I'm running out of time and my opponent isn't.

This is the game where I ran out of time even though I was playing immediately each time and my opponent didn't boot me: #399382077 I think it says the game lasted 848 mn?? It certainly did not. It was a standard length game finished maybe 30 minutes after it started.

This is the one where I got booted: #399381967. It supposedly lasted 785 minutes. It didn't There was maybe 15-20 minutes before I ran out of time which makes no sense because I should have the same 10hrs as my opponent.
So on #399382077, you weren't booted, the game ended normally. Last entry says:
Move 198 :9:46:20 AM
curseyoukhan attacks 1 Infantry (f8) with their 1 Armor at G5
curseyoukhan rolls Infantry Grenade Grenade
wolf in chains's unit (in f8) takes 3 damage(s)
Allies scores 1 medal(s)
Allies wins round n°2
The end of the game: wolf in chains wins!
It did run for 848 minutes, the log shows the game started at 7/22/2023 7:38:05 PM and ended 7/23/2023 9:46:20 AM.

On #399381967, you can see in the game replay log, the game started on 7/22/2023 7:35:06 PM. The other player took their first move at 7:38:51 PM. It was then almost 12 hours before you took your first move (I'm guessing it was night in your timezone) - 7/23/2023 7:19:50 AM. Note that I'm not sure what timezone these are showing, probably mine as I'm the one looking at it, but regardless of the time itself, there was almost 12 hours between the start of the game and your first move. Tournament games start when the tournament starts, not when both players show up. Whoever is first player, their clock starts running. If it moves to the next player, THEIR clock starts running. Your opponent didn't run out of time because when it was their turn, they took their moves within a short amount of time, but it took you a while to get to yours. Understandable if you were sleeping, but if the tournament settings are that play hours are 24 hours a day, then your clock runs whenever it is your turn - it's for this exact reason that I don't take on any tournaments where the time per player is less than 48 hours, otherwise I run the risk of this happening all the time (I live in Australia, so my timezone is at odds with players in US/Europe).

Return to “Tournaments / Les tournois”