Join a game, it’s immediately your turn, not playing

Discussions about BGA (all languages)
Forum rules
Warning: challenging a moderation in Forum = 10 days ban
More info & details about how to challenge a moderation: viewtopic.php?p=119756
Chiffa of Kettari

Re: Join a game, it’s immediately your turn, not playing

Post by Chiffa of Kettari »

But... to relax and enjoy the game you need other players actually playing. In the described case it's more like "enjoy the wait for more than 24 hours" L... hardly relaxing. :D
Cile

Post by Cile »

Jellby wrote: 07 September 2023, 12:47
The other one is people committing to a 2-turn-per-day game and then taking 26 hours to make a move (or whatever variation of it). If this is an isolated event and they don't use up all their time bank, that's also fine. If this goes on and they take such long time for each turn... expel them and red-thumb them if you wish, that's what these options are there for.
I do expel these players when they run out of time, the problem is I spend a week waiting for them to finally run out of time so I can expel them. I'm not invested in the game because I know it's not going to finish, but I don't want to start a new one because I don't like having two tables of the same game going at once.
T72on1

Post by T72on1 »

Chiffa of Kettari wrote: 07 September 2023, 17:22 But... to relax and enjoy the game you need other players actually playing. In the described case it's more like "enjoy the wait for more than 24 hours" L... hardly relaxing. :D
To my understanding it is allowed to do other stuff in the meantime, so yes one can relax ;) .
nccc

Post by nccc »

For turnbased tables, plz upvote this:
"Restrict low karma players from joining too many TURNBASED tables/ tournaments"
https://boardgamearena.com/bug?id=52353
Salvidrim

Post by Salvidrim »

There are only two possibilities:
  • Either the opponent is within their allotted time limit, in which case everything is working fine and there is no reason to complain; even if the player is not "present" right now, if their time is not expired, they are allowed to return later while they still have time on the clock to make their move. That's how turn-based play works.
  • Or the opponent has gone beyond their allotted time limit, in which case you are entitled to clock them out and claim table victory.

If you are complaining about the first situation, where opponents are within their allotted time limit, then are you complaining that other players are abiding by the rules? If you wish for "faster" play you should adjust your matchmaking preferences to play either real-time tables, or turn-based tables with faster time control than the typical "1 move per day". Plenty of players, me included, enter matchmaking queues for tables at 1move/day; the table starts whenever a suitable opponent is found by BGA (whether either or neither of us is currently "logged in"), and then proceed to log in once a day to play our daily move (or more often if availability allows).
Cile

Post by Cile »

Salvidrim wrote: 11 September 2023, 14:14 There are only two possibilities:
  • Either the opponent is within their allotted time limit, in which case everything is working fine and there is no reason to complain; even if the player is not "present" right now, if their time is not expired, they are allowed to return later while they still have time on the clock to make their move. That's how turn-based play works.
  • Or the opponent has gone beyond their allotted time limit, in which case you are entitled to clock them out and claim table victory.
There's a 3rd:
A player is not playing within their allotted time limit, but hasn't used up their time bank (yet). So this game isn't going to finish and I'm wasting time playing out a couple turns before ejecting them.

I once had a 1 turn per day game start and the first player took 28 hours to make their first move. Yes, that is technically within their "allotted time" due to the time bank, but I knew where this was going and sure enough after about a week and only playing a handful of turns this player ran out of time and was ejected.
Jellby

Post by Jellby »

Cile wrote: 11 September 2023, 18:03 A player is not playing within their allotted time limit, but hasn't used up their time bank (yet).
If they haven't used their time bank, they're playing within their allotted limit. "1 turn per day" doesn't mean they have to play every turn in less than a day, it just means they get +24h per turn.
Salvidrim

Post by Salvidrim »

Cile wrote: 11 September 2023, 18:03

There's a 3rd:
A player is not playing within their allotted time limit, but hasn't used up their time bank (yet).
You're fundamentally midsunderstanding how the game clock works. The timer, the "time bank", that * IS * the allotted time limit. If their time clock is positive, they are playing within the allotted time limit. If they go beyond their time clock and the time turns negative, you are entitled to clock them out and claim table victory.
Cile

Post by Cile »

You are fundamentally misunderstanding my complaint here: if the table is 1 move per day and my opponent is taking 26+ hours to take every turn they will run out of time, they just haven't yet. It's a forgone conclusion and just a waste of time until they get ejected.

I'm not proposing BGA change anything (other than maybe decreasing the time bank on turn based games to a maximum of 48 hours banked), but it's not unreasonable to complain about players joining games they can't meet the time commitment for and wasting your time, even if after a week of waiting you can finally eject them and try again with someone else.
Fuchur

Post by Fuchur »

Cile wrote: 11 September 2023, 21:39 You are fundamentally misunderstanding my complaint here: if the table is 1 move per day and my opponent is taking 26+ hours to take every turn they will run out of time, they just haven't yet. It's a forgone conclusion and just a waste of time until they get ejected.

I'm not proposing BGA change anything (other than maybe decreasing the time bank on turn based games to a maximum of 48 hours banked), but it's not unreasonable to complain about players joining games they can't meet the time commitment for and wasting your time, even if after a week of waiting you can finally eject them and try again with someone else.
Excuse me if I haven't understood your position: This was your table and you don't want to wait about one week to push slow players out of the game ?
In that case, why don't you create a faster table, for instance, 4 moves/day -- somebody who takes more than one day for every move will be expellable after one day. Perhaps you should consider the life game option : Only one game at the time and nobody will you make waiting one week.

Return to “Discussions”