King of Tokyo: great potential, great disappointment.

Forum rules
Please DO NOT POST BUGS on this forum. Please report (and vote) bugs on : https://boardgamearena.com/bugs
DoctorFianchetto

King of Tokyo: great potential, great disappointment.

Post by DoctorFianchetto »

I've recently started playing King of Tokyo and, on paper, I like it. Great concept, giant monsters battling in Tokyo, gaining energy and powers. The mechanics are compelling, especially those in the expansions.

My problem is that the game is not fine tuned enough to reward any kind of interesting play: in my experience the best strategy is for everyone to be passive, hide outside Tokyo, hoping that the RNG gods deliver lots of 3s. This is especially the case in the base game. Without the wickedness track there's no incentive to roll 1s or even 2s, so the game is reduced to "who can roll the most 3s?"

Apart from a handful of exceptions, power cards aren't so useful: the best power cards take several turns to acquire, after which you're going to be so far behind in points you won't time to use them before the game comes to a grinding halt.

Almost all of my arena games (5 player, Wickedness/Cultist expansion) go like this:

1. Player 1 rolls for three of a kind number for easy points. Player 1 enters Tokyo.
2. Player 2 rolls for three of a kind number for easy points. They rolled one Attack die in the process. Player 1, having been scratched for one hit point, flees so they can roll for 3s in safety. Player 2 enters Tokyo.
3. Player 3 rolls three Attack die, 1, 2, 3. Instead of SMASHING they keep the 3 die and roll again, going for three of a kind number for easy points. Unfortunately for them they rolled one Attack token in the process, they really would rather avoid any conflict. Player 2, having been scratched for one hit point, flees to safety so they can roll for 3s in safety. Player 3 enters Tokyo.

...and so the tedious game goes on, luckiest player wins.

The way to disrupt system is to attack people from within Tokyo. The threat of imminent death forces them to roll healing dice, preventing them from accruing points. Easier said than done. Cooperation is required, and that rarely happens, because players follow the above algorithm.

One player (i.e. me) can't do this alone. Try as I might to stay in Tokyo, I get chipped away one or two hit points at a time by the four passive players until I am forced to leave and heal, and everyone returns to the normal pattern of rolling for 3s. At this point the game is over for me: I am too far behind in points. Might as well just stay in Tokyo and wait to die. I've done this before, it's more fun than seeing it through to the bitter end.

The handful of games where this hasn't happened, where players actually fight for control of Tokyo while gathering resources, where someone is bold enough to be my ally and start a fight, have been exceptionally fun, tense, dramatic. I've won some, I've lost some. It doesn't matter. I enjoyed every second of those battles. This is, I assume, what King of Tokyo is meant to be. Most of the time, it's not. Hence the thread title.

More experienced players, do you agree, or am I a whining rookie who's missing the point?

P.S. Writing this was more fun than playing King of Tokyo arena.
raspberryoolong

Re: King of Tokyo: great potential, great disappointment.

Post by raspberryoolong »

I’ve played a good amount of KOT, and I pretty much agree with you. Especially in games with higher player counts, it is so common for people to just go for points, and it becomes a game of dice roll luck. It doesn’t work for just one person to attack because then only the player before them in Tokyo is affected while the players further can just avoid the damage. I am also not a fan of this kind of play and prefer some combo of attacking and getting power cards. This is why I only play 4-5p if I know another person at the table will also attack (it is doable to kill the leader with 2 players at the table willing to attack or buy Evacuation Orders card).

Otherwise I play KOT in 2p as points there mostly don’t matter, and it feels more strategic in how you decide to stay/yield tokyo, buy power cards, counter opponent power cards, and possibly go for points if that’s your best chance to win.

I think the solution to this would be to remove the ranks (2nd place onwards) and only have one winner and the rest losers in the game so that people are incentivized to attack the leader to win. However, this was suggested before and the developer said the publisher wanted to keep it this way.
DoctorFianchetto

raspberryoolong wrote: 30 December 2023, 12:41I think the solution to this would be to remove the ranks (2nd place onwards) and only have one winner and the rest losers in the game so that people are incentivized to attack the leader to win. However, this was suggested before and the developer said the publisher wanted to keep it this way.
Yes, this would be the best solution, but I know the response to suggestions is always "we must do it as the publisher does it".

A more feasible tweak is to remove the Cultist tokens, this makes it easier for people to camp. The luckiest of the point farmers accrue a Cultist token every turn, extra health, less risk of dying.
FluffyWuffy1

Post by FluffyWuffy1 »

I do sympathise with you, but KoT is a game of probably about 70% luck and 30% skill. The best players will win in the long run, but you can expect serious frustration on the way. 5 player encourages conservative play because of the extreme danger of being hit twice by Tokyo - you need to keep your health high until 4 player is reached.

While I am not the best around, the general strategy most good players employ is not to flee Tokyo automatically. It's that you want to buff your monster to make staying in Tokyo less dangerous and more beneficial. I played a game with you a short time ago and I noticed you trying to camp in Tokyo very early in the game, with no buffs. This is likely to see you get into difficulty as you won't be able to gain enough on your turn in Tokyo to overcome the disadvantage of the damage you take. Sometimes the gamble will pay off, but stronger players will generally spot this and punish you for it.
thoun

Post by thoun »

You might be interested to try King of New-York, where there is no 1/2/3 die faces anymore ;) sadly it's not on BGA.
bionic20

Post by bionic20 »

I understand your situation, I felt the same before. My answer is simple: try 1v1. Still luck based but:

1- You no longer have to rely on noobs/uncooperative players
2- Its borderline impossible to win on XP, its a sumo slapfest to the end. Wanna try to roll 3s? prepare to die to paws or by the opponent getting Shrink Ray/Wings/Jets lol
3- Its energy galore. As getting out of Tokyo gives energy instead of XP, and you're in and out all the time, cards become way relevant. You end up buying dozens of them, specially the super expensive & powerful, which makes the game way more captivating

Its almost a complete different game from 4-6p KOT, but be careful! It gets really addictive :P
DoctorFianchetto

FluffyWuffy1 wrote: 30 December 2023, 16:345 player encourages conservative play because of the extreme danger of being hit twice by Tokyo - you need to keep your health high until 4 player is reached.
Fantastice one sentence summary of my opening post :lol:
FluffyWuffy1 wrote: 30 December 2023, 16:34While I am not the best around, the general strategy most good players employ is not to flee Tokyo automatically. It's that you want to buff your monster to make staying in Tokyo less dangerous and more beneficial. I played a game with you a short time ago and I noticed you trying to camp in Tokyo very early in the game, with no buffs. This is likely to see you get into difficulty as you won't be able to gain enough on your turn in Tokyo to overcome the disadvantage of the damage you take. Sometimes the gamble will pay off, but stronger players will generally spot this and punish you for it.
I always play aggressively and camp in Tokyo, for a dangerous amount of time. I frequently die early, but playing passively is simply not enjoyable. I may as well play Yahtzee. The problem with trying to get buffs is that the luckiest player gets an unassailable points lead and becomes unstoppable, since everyone else in the game focus on themselves instead of making any effort to take down the leader. It's frustrating.
bionic20 wrote: 02 January 2024, 06:34 I understand your situation, I felt the same before. My answer is simple: try 1v1.
I have played 1v1 a couple of times and you're right, it is a completely different game. I've been massacred but that's because I haven't figured out how to play it properly :D
Diablange74

Post by Diablange74 »

bionic20 wrote: 02 January 2024, 06:34 2- Its borderline impossible to win on XP, its a sumo slapfest to the end. Wanna try to roll 3s? prepare to die to paws or by the opponent getting Shrink Ray/Wings/Jets lol
The powers you quote are even more a problem than trying to roll 3s !

You play a 2-players game and your opponent is lucky enough to get the Shrink Ray first ? Well, game over, there's nothing much you can do about it unless you're equally lucky to get one of the few OP cards in 2-players games. Most of the time, it will only take time (maybe a lot, which makes you just wish you hadn't played at all) but it's over for you...

Return to “King of Tokyo”