Opinions on why so unpopular

Forum rules
Please DO NOT POST BUGS on this forum. Please report (and vote) bugs on : https://boardgamearena.com/bugs
PTimePaul

Opinions on why so unpopular

Post by PTimePaul »

I have tried to play Terra Mystica, but find it slightly more complex than what I typically enjoy. I find Terra Nova around the sweet spot of complexity and game length. The variable round goals and factions make just enough changes game to game that my decisions are still interesting.

Why does everyone think this game is as unpopular as it is? I find it highly enjoyable and want to get it to the table in real lift.

Curious to hear everyone's opinions as I think the board gaming community is overlooking this one.
Wonderful Plays

Re: Opinions on why so unpopular

Post by Wonderful Plays »

I think considered its history (one of the latest titles, with lowest complexity in a complex line designed for gamers) it's still pretty popular. We need to give it time on BGA so more people can discover it. At the start it was Free to play and it was rising into one of the most popular games on the site, but since it was locked behind premium we lost a bit of momentum.

For me it's my favorite game right now and I do hope it grows even more, I'm having a blast each time I'm playing it, I bought a copy, introduced friends, they each bought copies themselves.

I think the reviews this game got failed to capture what's so good about this game. It's 80% of Terra Mystica that's extremely easy to get to the table.

Long live Terra Nova! :)
PTimePaul

Post by PTimePaul »

Glad to hear you like it as well, and I appreciate the insights you provided.

I ended up buying a physical copy and played last night with my game group. Everyone loved it and really enjoyed the level of strategy/complexity in the game. We will definitely be playing again.
Paoh

Post by Paoh »

I read somewhere probably on BGG that it is not "so" popular than it is because:
- Most of Terra Mystica / Project Gaia players wouldn't chose the "simpler version"
- It's still a complex and dry game for a lot of gamers

I would still like to play TM or PG but I like the elegance of this less complex but still strategic version.
A lot of replayability, fun decisions. A good game I will probably buy physically.

Said that, just looking now, there are more than 500 turn-based games ongoing so I wouldn't says "so unpopular"
Andaril

Post by Andaril »

I play this game to do the upgrade to Gaia Project. I have the physical copy of both. I'm not sure if this game is ok: there are too few ways to gain victory points. I don't like so much this thing.

Return to “Terra Nova”