Is there a hoarders list?

Forum rules
Please DO NOT POST BUGS on this forum. Please report (and vote) bugs on : https://boardgamearena.com/bugs
OwnerOfTheIronThrone

Re: Is there a hoarders list?

Post by OwnerOfTheIronThrone »

PegasusDragon1 wrote: 15 May 2024, 12:17 I’m in one of these matches right now. I have no gold or pearls. And EVERY card in the display has pearls. He set me up this way and then the game just isn’t fun. This will be my last match of this. Thanks for ruining the fun.
I saw the game. Why blame the player for playing optimally? The position was right for it so he went ahead and used the winning strategy. You are ruining the fun by blaming people for trying to master the game as well. If anyone is at fault it's the designer who allowed this to be a winning strategy. And that's subjective too. I personally find it very interesting how players should balance efficency with pearl and gold hoarding. Otherwise there would be no "catch up" mechanism and whoever got ahead early would always win.
yuniboshi

Post by yuniboshi »

Since when has hoarding been against the rules? Punishing players for playing a good game and helping players who allow themselves to be locked out by hoarding is an asshole move honestly. This is so disrespectful to space cowboys and the designers of splendor duel for BGA to implement wrong rules just to please bad players who don't improve at the game and only complain. Please make an option to turn off this PRETENTIOUS and WRONG warning or I would rather publishers remove this game from the platform honestly (publishers have given the permission to put the game on BGA but no rights to modify the game and pretend it's still Splendor duel)
Meeplelowda

Post by Meeplelowda »

yuniboshi wrote: 05 July 2024, 12:14 Since when has hoarding been against the rules? Punishing players for playing a good game and helping players who allow themselves to be locked out by hoarding is an asshole move honestly. This is so disrespectful to space cowboys and the designers of splendor duel for BGA to implement wrong rules just to please bad players who don't improve at the game and only complain. Please make an option to turn off this PRETENTIOUS and WRONG warning or I would rather publishers remove this game from the platform honestly (publishers have given the permission to put the game on BGA but no rights to modify the game and pretend it's still Splendor duel)
Jellby provided the link above this post. This change was approved by Space Cowboys:
However, there is one important case where this situation is becoming more frequent: when winning, losing, or drawing has a wider impact in a metagame (such as in tournaments or in the BGA ranking system).
We spoke to our teams organizing tournaments, and they all informed us that such behavior would be subject to exclusion.
Similarly, the BGA teams examined the data on the games played, and while it is a relatively rare occurrence at the moment, they are implementing a system that will indicate that this strategy is considered anti-gaming. Any attempt by a player to use this strategy can lead to a loss of ELO points or even reputation.
yuniboshi

Post by yuniboshi »

Meeplelowda wrote: 05 July 2024, 15:55 Jellby provided the link above this post. This change was approved by Space Cowboys:
However, there is one important case where this situation is becoming more frequent: when winning, losing, or drawing has a wider impact in a metagame (such as in tournaments or in the BGA ranking system).
We spoke to our teams organizing tournaments, and they all informed us that such behavior would be subject to exclusion.
Similarly, the BGA teams examined the data on the games played, and while it is a relatively rare occurrence at the moment, they are implementing a system that will indicate that this strategy is considered anti-gaming. Any attempt by a player to use this strategy can lead to a loss of ELO points or even reputation.
I think you have chosen to quote only exactly the parts that aligned with your opinions while choosing to ignore every other bit that conflicts with the claim where this is "Approved" by the team:

"I'm Domitien, the project manager of Splendor Duel at Space Cowboys. TL:DR; It's not a flaw, and we won't be implementing any "solutions" as those will create real problems in the game.

[...]

Attempting to patch this issue may cause more harm than good by exacerbating conflicts rather than resolving them."

It is pretty hilarious that they outright state "solutions" that break the rules are bad and won't be done since they don't want to see conflict arising from blaming the players instead of fixing the game. Instead that has been done and now we are in the conflict. This is a zero sum game and removing strategies instead of enabling anti-stall mechanics is completely stupid. Allowing players to reserve topcards to try to draw a playable card that doesn't use pearls with no available gold like base Splendor would be one of such easy solutions that would work way better than this stupid variant of forcing the player to lose for owning all the valuable tokens, for example. And worst part - I hate the rule and I would rather play the game in a friendly mode without it with my friends who appreciate the ACTUAL RULES and not the BROKEN version we have right now and we can't. Might as well throw this game in the trash if they hate it this much...
Meeplelowda

Post by Meeplelowda »

yuniboshi wrote: 15 July 2024, 19:09
Meeplelowda wrote: 05 July 2024, 15:55 Jellby provided the link above this post. This change was approved by Space Cowboys:
I think you have chosen to quote only exactly the parts that aligned with your opinions while choosing to ignore every other bit that conflicts with the claim where this is "Approved" by the team:

"I'm Domitien, the project manager of Splendor Duel at Space Cowboys. TL:DR; It's not a flaw, and we won't be implementing any "solutions" as those will create real problems in the game.

[...]

Attempting to patch this issue may cause more harm than good by exacerbating conflicts rather than resolving them."

It is pretty hilarious that they outright state "solutions" that break the rules are bad and won't be done since they don't want to see conflict arising from blaming the players instead of fixing the game. Instead that has been done and now we are in the conflict. This is a zero sum game and removing strategies instead of enabling anti-stall mechanics is completely stupid. Allowing players to reserve topcards to try to draw a playable card that doesn't use pearls with no available gold like base Splendor would be one of such easy solutions that would work way better than this stupid variant of forcing the player to lose for owning all the valuable tokens, for example. And worst part - I hate the rule and I would rather play the game in a friendly mode without it with my friends who appreciate the ACTUAL RULES and not the BROKEN version we have right now and we can't. Might as well throw this game in the trash if they hate it this much...
The approval of the BGA change by Space Cowboys is not an opinion. It's a fact. I never expressed any opinion about whether it is a good idea or not. Go search the thread and quote it for truth if you can find such a statement. You are projecting other user's views on me, presumably because I pointed out something objectively inaccurate about what you said.

Without doubt, the decision is inconsistent with their own internal review of the issue. It can be both approved and a bad idea. The two are not mutually exclusive.

Return to “Splendor Duel”