Are we ever going to change the system to stop hurting honest players vs quitters?

Forum rules
Please DO NOT POST BUGS on this forum. Please report (and vote) bugs on : https://boardgamearena.com/bugs
Phoxtrot

Re: Are we ever going to change the system to stop hurting honest players vs quitters?

Post by Phoxtrot »

LeScribe wrote: 15 May 2024, 12:40
Phoxtrot wrote: 22 April 2024, 19:06 And the corresponding suggestion that you can upvote:
https://boardgamearena.com/bug?id=121841
Phoxtrot, problem is that your 'bug' report is not related to Heat, it doesn't appear in Heat's bug reports

Bruno
Devs can do things about people using the special in-game concede but nothing about the standard concede and the booting of out-of-time people.
So that's why I created a framework report because that needs to be solved first.
If you create a report for Heat, It will get flagged as won't fix or not a bug since there is nothing they can do.

This is what happened already to multiple related Heat bug reports and suggestions like :
https://boardgamearena.com/bug?id=122116

We have the same king of problem with championship points : Heat specific reports about it like https://boardgamearena.com/bug?id=108708 got closed because you first need a framework change.
LeScribe

Re: Are we ever going to change the system to stop hurting honest players vs quitters?

Post by LeScribe »

Ah ok, thanks for your answer, Phoxtrot ;-)

On the 4 or 5 of my last races, I just won +1 because of bad losers.
I think I will stop playing Heat on BGA, so.
PaulB-UK

Post by PaulB-UK »

I play mainly turn based, and haven't had a problem with Arena games this season. Not sure if it's different for real time though.
critternation

Post by critternation »

I've read quite a bit of this thread AND put in a suggestion before that last place should have a concede option after 50% completion to give the quitters an easy out without screwing winners.
Feel like this is killing the game here I've only been matched 3* this week and TWO games end with a quit/boot after I'd won or was a corner ahead near the line.
RazorOz

Post by RazorOz »

PaulB-UK wrote: 16 May 2024, 21:42 I play mainly turn based, and haven't had a problem with Arena games this season. Not sure if it's different for real time though.
Arena real-time definitely has significantly less quitters than normal real-time races, however they're still out there in a higher number than you see at any other game. I also imagine I see significantly less quits than I otherwise would because I have a significant number of people blocked from previous quits.
critternation wrote: 25 May 2024, 04:22 I've read quite a bit of this thread AND put in a suggestion before that last place should have a concede option after 50% completion to give the quitters an easy out without screwing winners.
Feel like this is killing the game here I've only been matched 3* this week and TWO games end with a quit/boot after I'd won or was a corner ahead near the line.
It definitely would help matters if there was an option for players to concede earlier, but there doesn't seem any appetite for it from the devs/publisher.

Not that it's acceptable behaviour regardless, but I've had people tell me in chat they quit because it's a waste of time them playing on when they can't possibly win, so I suspect the option to concede earlier would help matters, but not completely solve the issue. As for example what you say about player's quitting on the last turn or after you've already won has nothing to do with them having to play for a significant amount of time in a game they can't possibly win, the option to concede would literally appear for them next turn, and they still quit, in fact I've seen people quit games when they already had the option to concede.
RazorOz

Post by RazorOz »

There seems to have been a real uptick in quitters recently, even on Arena, and it's not even just beginners or low ELO players anymore, it's Elite league players with good ELO now who are quitting.

And while it is terrible etiquette that can't be condoned, my most recent example really shows to me why a concede option would at least help matters. It was lap 2 on USA, and me and another player were already a turn ahead already through the 2nd corner, I'm sitting with 6 heat in my engine, the player who would go on to quit approaching the 2nd corner already had no chance of winning, they would then go on to spinout which I assume either combined with the fact they were already tilting knowing they can't win, or that they're now going to finish last regardless prompted an instant quit. If this player had the option to concede, they could at least do that without ruining the game and wasting everybody else's time.

And as I've said before, no other game I've played here has this problem like Heat does, I haven't played any other game that seemingly has an endless supply of quitters no how many players you red thumb, no matter what their reputation says, and it's a significant problem that is ruining the gaming experience for players who just want to play an honest game.
PaulB-UK

Post by PaulB-UK »

Having thought about it, quitting could well be a rational* action in that situation. You'll take the same loss but your opponents don't get the points for winning.

*But not sporting, I wouldn't choose to take it.
Jellby

Post by Jellby »

PaulB-UK wrote: 04 June 2024, 14:00 You'll take the same loss but your opponents don't get the points for winning.
Except for the karma loss and the possible red thumbs.
PaulB-UK

Post by PaulB-UK »

It's probably +EV for Oz to red thumb you in Arena, tbh
KatoriMotors

Post by KatoriMotors »

PaulB-UK wrote: 04 June 2024, 14:00 Having thought about it, quitting could well be a rational* action in that situation. You'll take the same loss but your opponents don't get the points for winning.

*But not sporting, I wouldn't choose to take it.
The fact that it can be justified as "rational" is part of the problem. The karma loss is negligible in the long run. I've lost karma because of forgetting that I was in queue a few times (obviously trying to avoid this from happening again) and it hasn't had any impact on my actual BGA user experience.

What basically happens with quitting is that after a player messes up their game, instead of that mess-up punishing just them and their rating, they can choose to punish everyone - Hooray! And, of course, they get to go queue into another game or do something else instead of spending time playing through a "lost game".

It's just all-around bad for everyone that quitting in Heat works the way it does.

I'm not expecting anything to change so I guess it is what it is, but it is just too bad since it feels like a completely unnecessary problem to have.

Return to “Heat: Pedal to the Metal”