Question about Slipstream

Forum rules
Please DO NOT POST BUGS on this forum. Please report (and vote) bugs on : https://boardgamearena.com/bugs
Post Reply
User avatar
Brentallica
Posts: 4
Joined: 19 June 2015, 03:14

Question about Slipstream

Post by Brentallica »

Hey - The rules say this about slip streaming.

6. Slipstream
Only applies if you are next to or behind another car at this point. Slipstreaming is optional if you land next to another car, or in
a Space behind a car or cars. If you choose to Slipstream, you move 2 Spaces forward. You can only Slipstream once per turn and if all the Spots in the final Space are occupied, place your car in the first Space with a free Spot behind the blocking cars. Slipstreaming does NOT increase your Speed value for the purpose of the Check Corner step

Tried to post a screen cap that would shows me about to move 1 space past the corner line due to a slip stream and it says "Are you sure? The slipstream move will make you cross a new corner at a speed of 14 (Corner Speed Limit: 3)"

I highly doubt this is a bug and just me misinterpreting something, but I'd like to understand. Thanks! :D :?:
User avatar
FDHenneberg
Posts: 162
Joined: 27 July 2025, 16:09

Re: Question about Slipstream

Post by FDHenneberg »

Tbh I had problems understanding that as well in the beginning. Although it’s totally straightforward: The corner speed limit is enforced when you enter the corner. Slipstreaming doesn’t change that at all. So if you are a bit too fast for entering the corner, slipstreaming into the corner at that *very same speed* (edit: unchanged by the slipstreaming) will give you additional heat. If you are at or below the limit and get through the curve at that low speed, slipstreaming directly afterwards won’t give you heat. You could say that slipstreaming doesn’t change your speed value, but it changes your position (duh, one might think, but as I said, loads of people misunderstand that, including me).
User avatar
Brentallica
Posts: 4
Joined: 19 June 2015, 03:14

Re: Question about Slipstream

Post by Brentallica »

Pffttt.....thank you. I get it. You're still subject to corner speed restriction. Slipstreaming simply does not increase the speed you're accountable for if you cross the corner. GOT IT. Thank you. I knew it was me. And glad others have hit that lil snag too so I don't feel so dumb. LOL. :lol:
User avatar
Phoxtrot
Posts: 499
Joined: 03 January 2012, 20:55

Re: Question about Slipstream

Post by Phoxtrot »

Yeah, common misconception. It's clear with a strict reading of the rules but they should have added an extra explicit mention anyway (because most people are not log logicians).
mattgrobbel
Posts: 2
Joined: 15 July 2026, 01:00

Re: Question about Slipstream

Post by mattgrobbel »

Hey all,

Brand new to this game, friend bought it and going to play this weekend. Tried playing two games on BGA and think I have it figured out except for the slipstreaming issue mentioned in this thread. Can someone explain it a little more? Not sure why the rules say that slipstreaming does NOT increase your Speed value for the purpose of the Check Corner step.' When would this rule ever help you? If you cross a corner and slipstream after crossing, the 2 speed of slipstream gets added later in step 7 of corner check. If you stop short of a corner and slipstream past the corner, the 2 speed gets added later in step 7 of corner check also right? Can someone help me to understand in what situation slipstreaming would not add 2 speed to step 7 of corner check? The only time I think it applies is if you are 2 or more speed under the turn speed and then do corner check right?

Examples 1: corner speed is 2 and played a 4 card for speed 4. Stopped right before corner line next to a car. Use slipstream to cross line and move two more spaces. When playing on BGA is appeared to charge me 4 heat, 2 for the over corner limit and two more for slipstreaming

Example 2: corner speed is 2 and played a 3 card for speed 3. Stopped right after the corner line next to a car. Take the slipstream to advance two more spaces. Must pay the 1 heat for corner check and 2 more heat with the slipstream right?

Example 3: corner speed is 2 and played a 2 card for speed 2. Stopped right before the corner line next to a car. Take the slipstream and using the special slipstream rule do not pay any heat right?

Are my example accurate? Sorry in advance, I haven't been able to try them all during games.
User avatar
Bender3002
Posts: 73
Joined: 19 January 2024, 15:42

Re: Question about Slipstream

Post by Bender3002 »

Slipstream does not increase your speed for the sake of corner speed, so in your examples:
1: Your speed is 4, corner limit is 2. You will need to pay 2 hit, if you slipstream (although you moved 6 in total: 4 regular +2 slipstream)
2: Same logic as above, you will need to pay 1 heat. It does not make a difference, if you cross the corner with the slipstream or with regular movement.
3: You pay 0 heat, correct. The special slipstream rule is the same as in the examples above ;)

In summary: whenever you cross a corner and at the step to check the corner speed (which happens at the end, after slipstream and all the other steps), look at the cards in front of you, you have played (regular and by boosting), this is the speed you check against the corner limit (also adrenaline counts, so if you used it, you need to add that to your speed). But the slipstream bonus movement does not get added to this number.
mattgrobbel
Posts: 2
Joined: 15 July 2026, 01:00

Re: Question about Slipstream

Post by mattgrobbel »

Thank you. Everything you said makes sense and I understand. The only problem is in game on BGA it made me pay heat for the over speed and for the slipstream. I stopped before a corner line and wasn't due to pay any heat, but when I used slipstream to cross the line I paid for the amount of speed over, didn't use adrenaline, and then had to pay 2 more heat when I used slipstream added to my total. I undid the turn and didn't end up paying any heat when I didn't slipstream across the line.
How is this possible? Was I just confused? Did I make some other mistake? I was pretty sure I had understood the slipstream rule and you just confirmed everything I believed to be true with how the rule works.
User avatar
Bender3002
Posts: 73
Joined: 19 January 2024, 15:42

Re: Question about Slipstream

Post by Bender3002 »

If you stop before the corner (ending your turn before the corner) you don't have to pay heat, I think that's clear. Now, if you stop before the corner and then slipstream through it, you will trigger the speed check and pay according to examples above. If you have to pay the costs for slipstream movement, then it's a bug. Which I don't believe, but if you can tell us, which table or was and roughly when, we can check it and break it down.
Post Reply

Return to “Heat: Pedal to the Metal”