TL;DR: Trained an AI model to prove Toy Battle is not luck-based. It now consistently beats me and my wife, and I’d love to see how other players fare against it.
Link: https://annazac.com/play
--------
My family and I are huge fans of Toy Battle, and we love it for its simplicity and clever design. I’ve seen a fair amount of criticism about the game being too luck-based, but I’ve always felt that good play makes a big difference irrespective of the luck of the draw.
My day job involves quite a bit of training neural networks, and so I was curious to see if I could train a model for this game, that could give a decent challenge to strong human players using only game state information that would be available to a human player.
Ended up putting more time into this side-project than I initially anticipated, and it’s now reached a point where it consistently beats both me and my wife. Of course, that might say as much about us as it does about the bot, so I’m keen to see how other players fare!
Since this is a test project, I’ve kept things simple: there’s only one map and no special base rules.
If you enjoy Toy Battle, I'd love for you to give it a go and let me know your feedback. I’m especially curious whether stronger human players can spot any consistent weaknesses in the model.
Please try the game at https://annazac.com/play
Link: https://annazac.com/play
--------
My family and I are huge fans of Toy Battle, and we love it for its simplicity and clever design. I’ve seen a fair amount of criticism about the game being too luck-based, but I’ve always felt that good play makes a big difference irrespective of the luck of the draw.
My day job involves quite a bit of training neural networks, and so I was curious to see if I could train a model for this game, that could give a decent challenge to strong human players using only game state information that would be available to a human player.
Ended up putting more time into this side-project than I initially anticipated, and it’s now reached a point where it consistently beats both me and my wife. Of course, that might say as much about us as it does about the bot, so I’m keen to see how other players fare!
Since this is a test project, I’ve kept things simple: there’s only one map and no special base rules.
If you enjoy Toy Battle, I'd love for you to give it a go and let me know your feedback. I’m especially curious whether stronger human players can spot any consistent weaknesses in the model.
Please try the game at https://annazac.com/play