Option to forfeit the game?

Discussions about BGA (all languages)
Forum rules
Warning: challenging a moderation in Forum = 10 days ban
More info & details about how to challenge a moderation: viewtopic.php?p=119756
User avatar
tbhp
Posts: 1023
Joined: 16 April 2025, 00:35

Re: Option to forfeit the game?

Post by tbhp »

tarongot wrote: ↑27 September 2026, 19:07 Why not simple: give all players an option to end game with current result (including players order, who has most points, who i second etc..). If all think that game result is set already, all will agree, game will end, points will be given etc.
Someone gave example of analog table with friends, that's how friends in analog table would resolve this. Short discussion if all see situation same, and if so all agree to end game there accepting that result.
That's something I feel is missing from the site. The possibility to end a game early while also collectively deciding on an exact ranking (right now the only offered option is to sort by remaining time).

If everyone had to agree on the ranking, I don't see how that could be criticized or abused. Even an anti-termination person like me would be okay with it happening in an important game, because if all players agree that this is the fate of the game, then it is their choice I guess.
User avatar
RazorOz
Posts: 441
Joined: 25 June 2022, 13:58

Re: Option to forfeit the game?

Post by RazorOz »

I suspect there are fears of enabling cheating if you allow the players to elect a winner.

I also suspect it's an option that in competitive play, eg. Arena, is going to get used very rarely. Because how are you deciding the other places, a tie? If you do that, you're hardly ever going to agree to it, as it's very rare 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 4th are all decided in a game, and the difference between 2nd and 4th is huge, and the difference I suspect between 2nd and and a tie for 2nd would also be significant.
User avatar
tbhp
Posts: 1023
Joined: 16 April 2025, 00:35

Re: Option to forfeit the game?

Post by tbhp »

RazorOz wrote: ↑28 September 2026, 00:07 I also suspect it's an option that in competitive play, eg. Arena, is going to get used very rarely. Because how are you deciding the other places, a tie? If you do that, you're hardly ever going to agree to it, as it's very rare 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 4th are all decided in a game, and the difference between 2nd and 4th is huge, and the difference I suspect between 2nd and and a tie for 2nd would also be significant.
It does seem limited in use cases. I mean, I could see it being considered in something like a tournament game where there is only less than an hour left, the game still has several moves to play but you can already tell what the exact order will be, so the players at the table agree on a ranking rather than let the game be decided by remaining time.

But then again, if all players are present to vote, why not try to finish the game right here instead? It seems a lot of "ifs" would be required for the feature to be used.

There may be some games where the exact ranking is already obvious long before the game is over, in which case the players should be able to officialize that order if they don't want to waste time. But I don't know how common those games are.
Post Reply

Return to “Discussions”