Load bug report into studio at different move

Game development with Board Game Arena Studio
Post Reply
User avatar
phantomwhale
Posts: 13
Joined: 15 March 2021, 03:32

Load bug report into studio at different move

Post by phantomwhale »

One thing that keeps tripping me up is people will often log a bug report after it happens (obviously not before!) and it gets logged with the current move number quite often.

But that is the move of just AFTER the event occurred. So if I click "Load into studio" it recreates the game just AFTER the bug occurred for me too, which is much less useful that having it created just BEFORE the event occurred.

So is there a way to then rehydrate the game in the Studio a few moves earlier? Perhaps I'm missing something, but I cannot find a way to "go back a few moves" in a studio game. Nor can I find a way to "load into studio" using an earlier move - the URL for that function contains the bug report ID only.

So my lens of things is:
* There is a code path in BGA that can take a bug report, extract the table id and move number from that report, and recreate the table in Studio for me to use
* I cannot find any other way for me externally to just recreate a table id + move number in the studio
* I cannot change the move number (e.g. travel backwards in time) in a studio game - there are the save buttons, of course, but I don't think those help here

I guess I could create a NEW bug with the table ID and corrected move number (?!!?) and use that to create a studio game, maybe? That feels like a terrible workaround though. Am I missing a proper way to do this? Or would this be a good feature request (override the move number when creating a game from a bug report?) to send to the BGA devs?
User avatar
Tisaac
Posts: 2757
Joined: 26 August 2014, 21:28

Re: Load bug report into studio at different move

Post by Tisaac »

You are missing the point : it's impossible. You can't go back in time because all it does is a screenshot of the database at the moment the bug is reported, that's all.
Which is why many devs have their own log system that allow to rewind moves
User avatar
RicardoRix
Posts: 2555
Joined: 29 April 2012, 23:43

Re: Load bug report into studio at different move

Post by RicardoRix »

There is a button in the log "replay last moves". Does that help?

--

it's a little bit odd how BGA framework work arounds somehow become (or at-least seem to be seen as) the standard answer. Rather than actually have changes to the BGA framework that we can all share. Is it much better that each developer has their own framework to go on top?
User avatar
Tisaac
Posts: 2757
Joined: 26 August 2014, 21:28

Re: Load bug report into studio at different move

Post by Tisaac »

RicardoRix wrote: ↑29 September 2026, 09:34 it's a little bit odd how BGA framework work arounds somehow become (or at-least seem to be seen as) the standard answer. Rather than actually have changes to the BGA framework that we can all share. Is it much better that each developer has their own framework to go on top?
Amen to that
Post Reply

Return to “Developers”