Arena mode is a disgrace

Discussions about BGA (all languages)
Forum rules
Warning: challenging a moderation in Forum = 10 days ban
More info & details about how to challenge a moderation: viewtopic.php?p=119756
User avatar
hibachi
Posts: 1
Joined: 12 June 2011, 22:17

Re: Arena mode is a disgrace

Post by hibachi »

Just thought I'd bump this - this continues to be a very frustrating experience for games that are more luck based.

I play lots of Gin Rummy and the BEST players at this game might win ~60% of their games. This makes the ultimate winner at Arena for a season really dependent on someone just 'running hot' to get to #1 and then stopping playing and hoping to hold on.

It's super frustrating to win 5-6 games in a row and that progress get more than undone by 2 losses to someone that gets really lucky cards.

Please consider implementing an adjustment for these types of games. ELO is frustrating enough in this regard, but to have Arena end up working this way is pretty lame. I've talked to lots of the other strong players and everyone agrees with the frustration.
FrankJones
Posts: 2790
Joined: 30 June 2024, 00:24

Re: Arena mode is a disgrace

Post by FrankJones »

True, high-volatile games are going to result in an arena champion who just happens to go on a hot streak at the right time.

Is this the "biggest" disgrace related to arena?

I would say no. Personally, I believe a bigger disgrace is someone getting consecutive top-3 arena finishes while red-thumbing literally all of the 300 Elo players.
User avatar
tbhp
Posts: 1046
Joined: 16 April 2025, 00:35

Re: Arena mode is a disgrace

Post by tbhp »

If a game is that luck based, you’re never gonna be satisfied with an Elo based system anyway. So what would be the solution?
Post Reply

Return to “Discussions”