Ultra speed games

Suggestions & ideas / Suggestions & idées
User avatar
gvalkering
Posts: 13
Joined: 05 April 2020, 19:14

Re: Ultra speed games

Post by gvalkering »

DOL_GULDUR wrote: ↑20 September 2026, 13:06
Jellby wrote: ↑28 August 2026, 18:35
cassandrarenee wrote: ↑27 August 2026, 22:55 These slow players think the timer is there to give them that full time for each and every move
And they're right. They're allowed to use every second of the timer as they see fit. As long as they stay in positive time, they're doing nothing wrong. They can use the time to think about their move, or to pet their cat, or to play another game.
Clearly u r a very slow player, just go with your opinion to “regular” games we are asking for ultra speed, u don t need to join this topic . Go cooking meanwhile other players wait for u. ZERO respect
No need to get personal. Just because you are frustrated with the time limits bga uses, doesn't mean that you need to get mad at the messager pointing out that your opponents are not in the wrong for using their allotted time.
User avatar
Stick
Posts: 7
Joined: 23 May 2013, 02:06

Re: Ultra speed games

Post by Stick »

I totally understand if:

1.) someone is still learning a game or
2.) they are having a difficult turn or
3.) their turn requires a lot of decisions (say, selecting a bunch of stuff in TI4)

But y'all need to understand, if you're running the clock down EVERY SINGLE TURN, you *are* doing something wrong. Most games on here don't require that level of thought.

Here's some suggestions for the slow players of the world:

1.) Play on slower settings, leave fast mode for us fast thinkers. Slow mode, or turn-based games are much better suited for your style.
2.) Failing that, play games with Solo Mode to really get a better feel for the game and you don't have to worry about timers.
3.) Plan your turns on other peoples turns. Always be thinking about the game. Pay attention. All the little stuff that helps you make a decision faster. Adding on to that, mentally prepare yourself a prioritized list of actions you can take. For example, If I'm playing 2 player Agricola, on the first turn I (likely) want to play an occupation or get some reed. If I'm second player, and someone takes one of those spaces, I take the other. Decision made. That's one example, there's thousands more.
4.) Don't worry so much about making the absolute optimal move. Sometimes it's good, fun even, to just trust your gut and go with what feels good and see what happens. The stakes are basically non-existent.

Honestly, I just don't understand how people who play the same game multiple times still don't have a basic idea of what the best move in common situations is. It should be a skill you acquire over multiple playthroughs of the same game. I probably had over 100 solo games of Feast for Odin before I started multiplayer. I'm still working on getting better, but I pay attention and try my best. My average thinking time is about 10-15 minutes per game. Most opponents I have need about 45 minutes to an hour. That is UNACCEPTABLE.

Anyways, if anything I've said upsets you, don't bother telling me, I don't care. You can go to my profile and pre-emptively give me the thumbs down so we don't get match together. If you like what I have to say, feel free to seek me out for games.
User avatar
Jellby
Posts: 3734
Joined: 31 December 2013, 12:22

Re: Ultra speed games

Post by Jellby »

Stick wrote: ↑29 September 2026, 06:16 But y'all need to understand, if you're running the clock down EVERY SINGLE TURN, you *are* doing something wrong.
Not really. You have to understand that players allowed to use their time as they wish, and that includes letting the clock run down to 0 every turn, for any reason they see fit, related to the game or not.

You may wish for a faster speed, such as even if they use their time in that way the game will be faster. Fine. But it's not the other players' fault that you think the speed is too slow.
User avatar
Stick
Posts: 7
Joined: 23 May 2013, 02:06

Re: Ultra speed games

Post by Stick »

Being "allowed" to do something is not the same as you *should* do something.

If I'm playing Azul, I'm allowed to just pick up every single tile and put them in my discard row. That doesn't mean I should do it.

I get it, sometimes distractions happen, but you shouldn't *NEED* to use up your entire clock on every single action. If your opponents are also very slow, cool, they probably don't care. But in general, try and respect the other players at your table.

Feel free to cherry pick something else from my previous response, because this ain't it.
Post Reply

Return to “Suggestions”