I'm a bit concerned about Nemesis: Retaliation being available in BGA's Arena mode as a 1v1-only format.
I understand why a 1v1 competitive format works well for many board games, but I'm not sure it's the best fit for Retaliation.
A big part of what makes Retaliation interesting is its social component. Your objectives aren't just about what your character can do; they're also about how you interact with the other players, who you trust, what information you share, and how you deal with potentially conflicting objectives.
With only two players, a lot of that disappears. There's much less room for negotiation, alliances, uncertainty, and social deduction. Your opponent is always the other player, which fundamentally changes many of the dynamics that make the game interesting.
The game is also designed and balanced around having multiple players, with character abilities, ranks, and personal objectives interacting within that larger social ecosystem.
I'm not saying 1v1 can't be fun, but I'm concerned that the Arena format might not showcase what makes Retaliation interesting in the first place. It would be great if there were some way to have a competitive format supporting 3+ players as well, even if that required some additional balancing.
I'd be interested to hear what others think. Do you think Retaliation works well as a 1v1 competitive game, or does the game lose too much of its appeal without the multiplayer social dynamics?
I understand why a 1v1 competitive format works well for many board games, but I'm not sure it's the best fit for Retaliation.
A big part of what makes Retaliation interesting is its social component. Your objectives aren't just about what your character can do; they're also about how you interact with the other players, who you trust, what information you share, and how you deal with potentially conflicting objectives.
With only two players, a lot of that disappears. There's much less room for negotiation, alliances, uncertainty, and social deduction. Your opponent is always the other player, which fundamentally changes many of the dynamics that make the game interesting.
The game is also designed and balanced around having multiple players, with character abilities, ranks, and personal objectives interacting within that larger social ecosystem.
I'm not saying 1v1 can't be fun, but I'm concerned that the Arena format might not showcase what makes Retaliation interesting in the first place. It would be great if there were some way to have a competitive format supporting 3+ players as well, even if that required some additional balancing.
I'd be interested to hear what others think. Do you think Retaliation works well as a 1v1 competitive game, or does the game lose too much of its appeal without the multiplayer social dynamics?