Move Infantry OFF a Ship

Forum rules
Please DO NOT POST BUGS on this forum. Please report (and vote) bugs on : https://boardgamearena.com/bugs
Post Reply
JohnnyCyclops
Posts: 289
Joined: 05 July 2023, 22:06

Move Infantry OFF a Ship

Post by JohnnyCyclops »

First turn, I loaded Gibraltar infantry to West Med fleet. I was expected to unload at end of turn into North Africa but I can’t unload into an Axis controlled area even if there are no Axis troops.

Then it seems like my infantry simply dies on the ship during the supply. I had no choice to return them to Gib.

Is there any purpose to sending infantry via ship if you can’t disembark?

My first game. Surprised how long and complex the rulebook is for something that looks like a simple short game.
JohnnyCyclops
Posts: 289
Joined: 05 July 2023, 22:06

Re: Move Infantry OFF a Ship

Post by JohnnyCyclops »

After turn one as Allies I have fleets in West Med and South Atlantic plus two Infantry in Gibraltar. Is there any way I can invade Morocco or Algeria? I can’t see how to move there.
nifty-seal421
Posts: 6
Joined: 02 July 2026, 18:41

Re: Move Infantry OFF a Ship

Post by nifty-seal421 »

Only tanks can disembark into enemy controlled territory the second move. Infantry can follow up behind a tank though.

You can use a card with movement, like desert rats, or the forced march action to move an infantry off a ship as an action though.

Page 13: "Tanks may move or unload into enemy-controlled spaces."

"Infantry may not unload into an enemy-controlled space during the Second Movement step."
JohnnyCyclops
Posts: 289
Joined: 05 July 2023, 22:06

Re: Move Infantry OFF a Ship

Post by JohnnyCyclops »

My friend and I abandoned our first game mid-way. It was too painful to play - both the UX and the non-intuitive rules.

Related to my OP, there then seemed no purpose putting infantry on a ship in a first move of a turn because they could not be taken off the ship in the second turn, and then they would simply starve/die on the ship. This is what I mean by non-intuitive rules (the sailors also didn't die from hunger?). Also, an obvious move of shipping Gibraltar troops across the straits into North Africa seemed impossible to perform.

I'm grateful to earlier replies, that infantry can't leave the ship in the second move of a turn. Although it doesn't make any sense to me for either gameplay purposes or military tactics.

We had played a lot of Memoir 44 and were looking for similar vibes but with less random chance (cards and dice). QGSF seems to go the other extreme of a very limited number of set cards/actions from which to select, making the gameplay pretty locked (I guess replicating the Allied/Axis battles in the Med in WWII). E.g. I had a card to do with Greece (I think it let me co-opt Greece to my Allies side) but I could never seem to get it played - I think it first required me to have troops in Greece.

Anyway, I know we should really have re-read the rules end-to-end before starting and/or grumbling in the forum. So please don't reply with "read the rules". There are over 1000+ games on BGA but this failed to hit. I can't recall ever agreeing to abandon a BGA game but we both found it difficult to parse, non-intuitive, with very poor UX.
Post Reply

Return to “Quartermaster General: South Front”