Tharsis in random map selection

Forum rules
Please DO NOT POST BUGS on this forum. Please report (and vote) bugs on : https://boardgamearena.com/bugs
Post Reply
User avatar
marcopar
Posts: 5
Joined: 09 May 2026, 07:23

Tharsis in random map selection

Post by marcopar »

After many plays I'm starting to have the feeling that Tharsis never comes up in random map selection... Coincidence or I'm missing something?
Yahyra
Posts: 199
Joined: 06 January 2016, 03:33

Re: Tharsis in random map selection

Post by Yahyra »

I think I have gotten Tharsis in random map... but I cannot recall nor prove it.
User avatar
ZWS
Posts: 8
Joined: 23 July 2014, 09:51

Re: Tharsis in random map selection

Post by ZWS »

We had it 2 days ago
charliec247
Posts: 153
Joined: 06 June 2024, 05:55

Re: Tharsis in random map selection

Post by charliec247 »

My last tournament game on random map was Tharsis
Peach 2d
Posts: 16
Joined: 10 April 2026, 08:18

Re: Tharsis in random map selection

Post by Peach 2d »

For what it's worth: I have 4 tourney games on with random map settings. Two on Tharsis, one of Vastitas, one on Hellas. Elysium is missing. Tharsis is grossly overrepresented :-)

What you describe sounds like the clustering illusion. A particular map may show up disproportionately often in a small sample size, or another one remains absent, and that may give you the idea that this is not random at all: something fishy seems to be going on. In small sample sizes of random events, however, you should statistically expect skewed "clustering" to happen relatively often. Once you go for really large samples (hundreds, or thousands, and theoretically: go to infinity), you will approach the expected value of 25% for each map . Within that large selection, you'll see instances of the same map appearing several times in a row, a particular map not appearing at all for a long time, and so on. Your experience is an example of that.

Unless the "random maps" setting is not truly random. I'll have to admit that I have no idea how it's been programmed here on BGA.
User avatar
Il Commendatore
Posts: 1
Joined: 29 August 2026, 23:38

Re: Tharsis in random map selection

Post by Il Commendatore »

For those who fancy seeing a mathemetician explain related stuff in a documentary, this video is just the thing. In this case, it's about random numbers:
https://youtu.be/sKiz5smpvE8?si=pKoYDlJb3knsJsUt&t=1551
Post Reply

Return to “Terraforming Mars”