Refreshing inbetween every action, why isn't there more uproar about this?

Discussions about BGA (all languages)
Forum rules
Warning: challenging a moderation in Forum = 10 days ban
More info & details about how to challenge a moderation: viewtopic.php?p=119756
Post Reply
User avatar
Mistrallique
Posts: 3
Joined: 02 October 2023, 15:31

Refreshing inbetween every action, why isn't there more uproar about this?

Post by Mistrallique »

I am sorry if this in the wrong place, I was struggling to find the right sub.

In the last weeks, I have so much issues playing games on here has been a struggle. In literally every game, the game 'forgets' whose turn it is (shows just white on top instead of the right player) and the only solution is to constantly refresh the game. I thought it was only me and I tried clearing cache and reinstalling but now I've been asking my opponents and they all say the same, they all have to constantly refresh.

I thought this would be a big problem for a lot of people and it would escalate quickly and there would be a message on the frontpage and it would get fixed. But it still happens and I can find countless small reports of people experiencing the same but not really a solution.

And I don't know if the devs know that it is their game causing issues, its side wide. I have some reports:

248361
248072
247451
247471
247389

I never made one myself because I thought you should look for other reports saying the same thing and add to that. But if its preferable I do so, I will happily (well) Report every game.

Thanks in advance.
User avatar
nik592
Posts: 1450
Joined: 16 October 2022, 13:54

Re: Refreshing inbetween every action, why isn't there more uproar about this?

Post by nik592 »

So while I have seen this problem in the past (last time was probably a good year or more ago), I'm not currently seeing it, so it's not happening to every player on the site. If there are lots of bug reports rather than people voting for a single bug report, that's also going to make it harder to grab the attention of the relevant people. Some bugs are also being reported against specific games, which doesn't sound like the problem, given it's affecting quite a lot of games - so that's also going to make

If you haven't already, I'd suggest upvoting a bug for the general website, preferably the one with the most votes (of the ones you linked, only this one is for the general website: https://boardgamearena.com/bug?id=247471), and potentially commenting on the others with a link to that one indicating they're the same bug, and encouraging people to upvote it. That said, that bug that I linked even says that the issue is resolved (likely for them), so you could also raise your own and link to it and encourage people to upvote it.

Basically, you want your bug report to go to the right area (a specific game or the general website bugs) and you want to get others to vote for it (which is difficult as searching bugs is something of a pain). Raising additional bugs generally isn't helpful, because every bug that's raised is potentially noise against the other bugs that are being raised (and don't generally look as impactful, because they only have minimal upvotes).
User avatar
RazorOz
Posts: 448
Joined: 25 June 2022, 13:58

Re: Refreshing inbetween every action, why isn't there more uproar about this?

Post by RazorOz »

Also not seeing this so I don't think it's site wide.
User avatar
tbhp
Posts: 1077
Joined: 16 April 2025, 00:35

Re: Refreshing inbetween every action, why isn't there more uproar about this?

Post by tbhp »

You should list every game where you saw it happen, as it will help them find the cause of the issue and make sure it is fixed for every game.

I have never seen it happen in the games I play, so describing the issue as site wide wouldn't be particularly helpful, I think.
User avatar
yodamus
Posts: 237
Joined: 18 January 2018, 16:28

Re: Refreshing inbetween every action, why isn't there more uproar about this?

Post by yodamus »

Ok. This often happens to me also,, but. Big but. It is on me. I have figured out with the help of Frank. That it is my internet and wifi connection that is spotty at times causing my games to freeze for brief moments, where I then have to refresh. Refresh usually works and I continue, rarely it does not work and I know then, I am completely offline, and need to leave site and come back. I live in a very wooded area, so internet is spotty even with tower 2 miles away. So for those blaming bga. It is probably not them. I have learned to play much more turn based and tourneys to avoid that issue being a problem.
User avatar
tbhp
Posts: 1077
Joined: 16 April 2025, 00:35

Re: Refreshing inbetween every action, why isn't there more uproar about this?

Post by tbhp »

Even if your connection is the issue, the site should be able to handle it better than making it look like your move was registered when actually it wasn't.

They could program it so that your turn shows as completed on your end only when your move has been sent and you received back the information that it registered and everything is fine.
User avatar
Calmon70
Posts: 180
Joined: 09 August 2020, 20:58

Re: Refreshing inbetween every action, why isn't there more uproar about this?

Post by Calmon70 »

I play a lot and have to refresh often as well in some games. Some games it was working fine in the past but now I have to F5 to let me do actions again. For me it went worse over time but it's not on a level of being super annoying (I play 99,9% async games)
FrankJones
Posts: 2827
Joined: 30 June 2024, 00:24

Re: Refreshing inbetween every action, why isn't there more uproar about this?

Post by FrankJones »

This happens to me only when playing hot-seat mode, which is in Beta probably because it has several annoying problems.
Post Reply

Return to “Discussions”