Losing matches just because boots exists

Forum rules
Please DO NOT POST BUGS on this forum. Please report (and vote) bugs on : https://boardgamearena.com/#!bugs
Post Reply
pablo_farias3
Posts: 1
Joined: 20 August 2026, 14:00

Losing matches just because boots exists

Post by pablo_farias3 »

I just lost a totally winnable match only because boots exist. We were on the last month of spring, I was way ahead on score. Both opponent and me had 4 cards left in hand. Opponent went second. I already played one asmug, so chanches of them having the other one plus boots are low. But low is not zero. Chances of them having 2 boots are low. But low is not zero. So I am forced to make the suboptimal play, going all in 2 seasons earlier, just because the card exists. The result? Opponent didn't have boots, but since I already went all in, they could know my final score beforehand and sinergize their remaining cards optimally to take the lead. Trusting the odds of them not having boots just seems as wishful thinking. Is there anything I could have done in that situation? I feel like there is no reliable way of dealing with boots.
User avatar
james1111
Posts: 5
Joined: 17 August 2020, 20:34

Re: Losing matches just because boots exists

Post by james1111 »

You have information on whether boots or amsug are present in the initial draft, plus you know how many cards your opponent has drawn (plus boots tricks like potion of resurrection + a delete card)

The chances of them drawing two boots or amsug + boots are incredibly low - so by going all in you played into terrible odds and hurt your own score.

It's sensible enough to make a play one turn early incase of a single rogue boots, but assuming double boots is almost always bad unless you have prior info.

You just have to take the losses in those low percentage scenarios, it seems like you're allowing the frustration of those losses to impact your play too much.
MartoTom
Posts: 21
Joined: 19 March 2020, 10:38

Re: Losing matches just because boots exists

Post by MartoTom »

Boots are definitely something to play around ALL THE TIME. Experienced players know to set themselves up and finish the game around the summer season. Now, I wouldn't go as far as say that it is possible to play around 2x Boots or 1x + Amsug, though that is a rare occurrence and you probably have some telltale signs, such as your opponents rushing playing cards fast approaching the third round.
Post Reply

Return to “Seasons”