Hi everyone,
First of all, this is not a bug report. The red thumb works exactly as the site describes it. This is a discussion about whether the rule itself is the right one for Arena tournaments, and a suggestion for the admins and the community to consider.
I play Mountain Goats every day and I’m one of the top players. Recently I noticed that several players who regularly played at the same hours as me had stopped showing up in my games. After a short manual check of their profiles, I found four players who had given me a red thumb. With three of them I have never had any conflict. Our communication was limited to “hi”, “good luck” and “gg, thanks”. The only thing that stands out is that they had lost to me many times.
Here is how the site describes the red thumb:
“Giving a red thumb is a community-based player evaluation, and is 100% subjective. A player has the right to give you a red thumb if they do not enjoy playing with you. If you feel this is inappropriate, you may want to give this player a red thumb in return.”
So any player may give red thumbs to anyone, for any reason or for no reason, and build a personal list of opponents they will never face. I’m not blaming these four players. They are acting within the rules. My question is about the rule itself and how it fits Arena.
In Play (friendly) mode this feature makes perfect sense. Nobody should be forced to play with someone they don’t enjoy. But Arena is a competitive championship, and there the same rule raises a fairness question.
Imagine a real world championship where an athlete could tell the judges: “I don’t like this opponent, and that one is too strong. Don’t pair me with them. Pair me with someone I can beat more easily.” Nobody would consider such a competition fully legitimate. Opponents are drawn at random, and everyone plays whoever comes up.
Under the current rules, a player can:
Go through the profiles of the top players and give each of them a red thumb.
Never be matched with them again.
Collect points all season by playing only against beginners and weaker players, while avoiding every strong opponent.
The final ranking then partly reflects who filtered their opponents best, not who played best.
My suggestion:
Keep the red thumb as an exclusion tool in Play mode.
In Arena, let the red thumb have no effect on matchmaking. Anyone who enters Arena accepts playing against any other participant, chosen randomly.
If someone behaves badly, there are other tools for that: reports and moderation. Manually excluding opponents is not the right answer to bad behavior in a ranked mode.
I’m raising this publicly because I can see the red thumb is already being used this way. I hope the administration will consider changing the rule for Arena, and I’d like to hear what other players think. Have you noticed the same thing? Do you think Arena should work differently from Play mode in this respect?
Thanks for reading.
First of all, this is not a bug report. The red thumb works exactly as the site describes it. This is a discussion about whether the rule itself is the right one for Arena tournaments, and a suggestion for the admins and the community to consider.
I play Mountain Goats every day and I’m one of the top players. Recently I noticed that several players who regularly played at the same hours as me had stopped showing up in my games. After a short manual check of their profiles, I found four players who had given me a red thumb. With three of them I have never had any conflict. Our communication was limited to “hi”, “good luck” and “gg, thanks”. The only thing that stands out is that they had lost to me many times.
Here is how the site describes the red thumb:
“Giving a red thumb is a community-based player evaluation, and is 100% subjective. A player has the right to give you a red thumb if they do not enjoy playing with you. If you feel this is inappropriate, you may want to give this player a red thumb in return.”
So any player may give red thumbs to anyone, for any reason or for no reason, and build a personal list of opponents they will never face. I’m not blaming these four players. They are acting within the rules. My question is about the rule itself and how it fits Arena.
In Play (friendly) mode this feature makes perfect sense. Nobody should be forced to play with someone they don’t enjoy. But Arena is a competitive championship, and there the same rule raises a fairness question.
Imagine a real world championship where an athlete could tell the judges: “I don’t like this opponent, and that one is too strong. Don’t pair me with them. Pair me with someone I can beat more easily.” Nobody would consider such a competition fully legitimate. Opponents are drawn at random, and everyone plays whoever comes up.
Under the current rules, a player can:
Go through the profiles of the top players and give each of them a red thumb.
Never be matched with them again.
Collect points all season by playing only against beginners and weaker players, while avoiding every strong opponent.
The final ranking then partly reflects who filtered their opponents best, not who played best.
My suggestion:
Keep the red thumb as an exclusion tool in Play mode.
In Arena, let the red thumb have no effect on matchmaking. Anyone who enters Arena accepts playing against any other participant, chosen randomly.
If someone behaves badly, there are other tools for that: reports and moderation. Manually excluding opponents is not the right answer to bad behavior in a ranked mode.
I’m raising this publicly because I can see the red thumb is already being used this way. I hope the administration will consider changing the rule for Arena, and I’d like to hear what other players think. Have you noticed the same thing? Do you think Arena should work differently from Play mode in this respect?
Thanks for reading.