Why I’m sitting out next Season

Forum rules
Please DO NOT POST BUGS on this forum. Please report (and vote) bugs on : https://boardgamearena.com/bugs
Post Reply
moonipoon
Posts: 3
Joined: 15 October 2025, 15:10

Why I’m sitting out next Season

Post by moonipoon »

I’m sitting out this season as the Elo system for Wizard is fundamentally flawed at the elite level. Once you reach a certain rank, the points awarded for 1st or 2nd place are minimal, while the penalties for 3rd or 4th place are disproportionately high. This creates a 'treadmill' effect that rewards inactivity and rank-parking instead of active competition. Until the system accounts for the inherent variance of a card game and stops punishing active play, I’m stepping away.

I’m looking forward to a brief statement from the team. It’s frustrating to see constructive criticism go unanswered while the competitive balance of the game suffers. How do other players feel about this? Are you also frustrated by the 'parking' meta and the lopsided point distribution?
AP_90
Posts: 1
Joined: 07 January 2026, 00:08

Re: Why I’m sitting out next Season

Post by AP_90 »

Yeah, I agree.
Currently in 11th and need at least 2 wins to reach 10th but one loss will drop me down significantly.
pelmar007
Posts: 1
Joined: 10 October 2026, 21:55

Re: Why I’m sitting out next Season

Post by pelmar007 »

While I do get your sentiment, I do not completely agree with your statement. At the high level (I've been there), it is still an active and fun game. ELO is a bit flawed, but this does not alter the game in any way. I think the devs have their reasons for the decisions they made.

- EP
wouterrobbert
Posts: 1
Joined: 10 October 2026, 21:54

Re: Why I’m sitting out next Season

Post by wouterrobbert »

I think this EP guy makes an excellent point. Tho i think we shouldn't overlook the impact the ELO system has on the average joe. Not everyone has it in them to play at the highest level, people have a 9 to 5 and kids and the wive they have to get back to. The ELO system makes it so the working class can't play no more, but that's just my two cents.

-WRB
Post Reply

Return to “Wizard”