Klaverjassen card game alpha available

Future games in need of testing and feedback
Forum rules
Please DO NOT POST BUGS on this forum. Please report (and vote) bugs on: https://boardgamearena.com/#!bugs
wolmot

Klaverjassen card game alpha available

Post by wolmot »

Hello everyone,

the alpha release of the "klaverjassen" card game is now available.

Klaverjassen is the Dutch name for a popular traditional four player trick-tacking card game.
The name refers to the 'jas' (Jack) being the highest value trump card (as in other card games from the Jass family like Belote), and 'klaver' (clubs, or literally: clover).

If any of you have a Dutch background and already know it, or are interested in reviewing it, please have a look.
https://boardgamearena.com/reviewer?game=klaverjassen

If you are unable to play it as a BGA reviewer but are interested to try it, just let me know so I can send you an invitation to the private alpha test group.

Looking forward to your feedback.
chk1975

Re: Klaverjassen card game alpha available

Post by chk1975 »

It used to be that the requirement to become a tester was to have played 20 different games.
So when I saw klaverjassen I immediatly wanted to become a tester but they upped the requirement to 30 different games played.

But I come from a klaverjassen family and have been playing the game for over 30 years ansd I also know a lot of the variants like amsterdams, rotterdams and offcourse the big one: kraken.

My favourite and the one I play with my family is amsterdams kraken.

I would like to become a tester for klaverjassen and bring the best card game in the world to boardgamearena.
chk1975

Post by chk1975 »

tried some new games and now have 30 different games played so joined the alpha testing of klaverjassen.
wolmot

Post by wolmot »

chk1975 wrote: 02 July 2020, 21:13 tried some new games and now have 30 different games played so joined the alpha testing of klaverjassen.
Hi, that's great!
Sorry, I didn't receive notification mails for your remarks, otherwise I would have added you to the Alpha testers immediately.
My family from father's side only played Rotterdams klaverjassen, so very interested to hear if I missed something about the Amsterdam variant.
Unfortunately I am not familiar with kraken at all.
Villanelle

Post by Villanelle »

I have joined the group also. But I have noticed you cannot form a table to test it yet. Is that correct?
wolmot

Post by wolmot »

Villanelle wrote: 05 July 2020, 17:27 I have joined the group also. But I have noticed you cannot form a table to test it yet. Is that correct?
Hi Villanelle,
There shouldn't be any problem to start a table as far as I know.
But I am not sure how the BGA alpha/reviewer process works, maybe only a reviewer can create the tables?
chk1975

Post by chk1975 »

Looking for a rules clarification from the developer
Player opens with spades
Second player trumps with jack of clubs
Now it is my turn.
I don’t have spades
I obviously can’t head the trump because jack is the highest.

My understanding off the rules even after consulting wikipedia is that I am now allowed to play a different suit because I can’t head the trump.

But the game doesn’t allow this and forces my to play my single trump the queen of clubs.

So the game forces me to ‘ondertroeven’ which is not correct in my opinion.

What is the developers or other players stance on this?
wolmot

Post by wolmot »

chk1975 wrote: 10 July 2020, 12:41 Looking for a rules clarification from the developer
Player opens with spades
Second player trumps with jack of clubs
Now it is my turn.
I don’t have spades
I obviously can’t head the trump because jack is the highest.

My understanding off the rules even after consulting wikipedia is that I am now allowed to play a different suit because I can’t head the trump.

But the game doesn’t allow this and forces my to play my single trump the queen of clubs.

So the game forces me to ‘ondertroeven’ which is not correct in my opinion.

What is the developers or other players stance on this?
Hi,

To my understanding my family and I have always played the Rotterdam variant all our lives, in which you are always forced to trump if you cannot follow suit. You must overtrump if possible, and otherwise undertrump, and trump even if the trick is currently head by your team mate.
In the Amsterdam variant you should not be forced to undertrump, and I have to double check if this works correctly.
Because apparently you are not even allowed to undertrump even if you wanted to (e.g. to keep some other high value card) and I don't think I have accounted for this in the implementation.
But indeed, with the Rotterdam variant to my knowledge and understanding you are forced to undertrump or “ondertroeven”.
wolmot

Post by wolmot »

After some initial feedback (thanks!), I have just released a new version with 2 small changes:
+ bugfix for the Amsterdams variant, as indeed here it is never allowed to undertrump if you have other options
+ added a game option to handle the trump suit selection. Instead of the traditional way with a classic draw pile (that allows for round pass if nobody wants to play), you can now also opt to go with the Mandatory variant.
This means the first player after the dealer gets to select the trump suit, and then must play.
Nisterius

Post by Nisterius »

I would like to be invited as a tester.

Return to “"Alpha" games”