What breaks tie in tournament play?

Forum rules
Please DO NOT POST BUGS on this forum. Please report (and vote) bugs on : https://boardgamearena.com/bugs
sunmachine

What breaks tie in tournament play?

Post by sunmachine »

I've played a couple of tournaments of duel with a group of my friends and the result is always very tight. Even after 7 games (there are 8 of us) its quite common for several players to end with the same points. My question is, what metric is being used to separate the players? There is clearly something going on (and it's not something daft like alphabetical). Does anyone know?
sunmachine

Re: What breaks tie in tournament play?

Post by sunmachine »

Just to be clear, I'm referring to Round Robin tourneys here on BGA.

In my current tourney, we have 8 players. Tomorrow is the final round of games. The top 4 all have the exact same stats after 6 games (4 wins, 2 losses), and the bottom 4 also have the exact same (2 wins, 4 losses). After tomorrow's games, whatever happens, 2 players at the top will finish with the exact same wins and losses, and likewise at the bottom.

At present, none of us know what is determining the order shown on the table between the tied players.
CB Droege

Post by CB Droege »

Least thinking time.
bananasplay

Post by bananasplay »

CB Droege wrote: 13 January 2021, 12:44 Least thinking time.
Is this documented somewhere?

I can’t imagine that I’d ever come to that conclusion through simple observation, given that a) thinking time isn’t listed anywhere on a tournament page and b) thinking time isn’t part of a game’s state at any point.
Please check my profile for a list of bugs that need upvotes so that BGA will maybe get around to fixing them.
wallaceprime

Post by wallaceprime »

I don't think it is thinking time (not in the game Carcassonne, anyway): I tied against a lower Elo player and had significantly longer thinking time (displayed in the game summary) in a turn-based game, but it was still me that went through (this was in game #126870492 if you want to check).
ufm

Post by ufm »

No tiebreaker, and the advancing player is determined randomly. This is a longstanding problem of BGA tournament.

Return to “7 Wonders Duel”