pronouns automatically being changed in chat I write

Discussions about BGA (all languages)
Forum rules
Warning: challenging a moderation in Forum = 10 days ban
More info & details about how to challenge a moderation: viewtopic.php?p=119756
postmans

pronouns automatically being changed in chat I write

Post by postmans »

I noticed in the last week that if in chat to other players I write "his" this gets changed in some cases to "their" without any warning or signaling. In most of these cases it's very odd because I have been talking about a person we both no is "his".

One of my friends has a similar thing but it's changing "his" to "her".

We both have English as our set language. I have no clue how or why this is happening, but I find it very strange that the text I am writing is changed without any signalling to the fact that it has/anything I can do about that.

Most clear example is when I wrote "his his his his his" it changed it to "their his their his his".

Does anybody know if there is a setting to turn off that my text is being changed between me pressing enter and it being published in chat?
GeraldineMerida

Re: pronouns automatically being changed in chat I write

Post by GeraldineMerida »

This bug was supposed to have been fixed a while ago, but it has come back for me too. The only way I can reliably write 'his' in chat now is to type H I S. SO tiresome.

I think it's some kind of overspill from an algorithm to make game logs, etc. more PC.
Een

Post by Een »

I confirm that this was an issue of the game logs pronouns replacement system applying to chat while it shouldn't have.
It has been fixed, and I just launched a game and tested again (using the "his his his his his" string) and I didn't get any issue.

So if you experience this issue again, please give me full context + screenshot to help me find out where it is still happening.
elk

Post by elk »

postmans wrote: 20 October 2021, 01:45 In most of these cases it's very odd because I have been talking about a person we both no is "his".
Talking about me again? :oops: ;)
postmans

Post by postmans »

Thanks, looks fixed now (though I still had one yesterday), will report if I see it again.
Silene

Post by Silene »

Een wrote: 20 October 2021, 08:06 I confirm that this was an issue of the game logs pronouns replacement system applying to chat while it shouldn't have.
It has been fixed, and I just launched a game and tested again (using the "his his his his his" string) and I didn't get any issue.

So if you experience this issue again, please give me full context + screenshot to help me find out where it is still happening.
it's back :(
me typing "his" in chat gets changed to "her" again. even when i write "his/her" in chat it results in "her". it only shows that to me. the person i send it to can see "his" but in my chatbox it is changed into "her".
Hosting Allround-League: https://boardgamearena.com/group?id=7870115 --> a league where you have matches of random games vs. other players in your group - season 7 running in Jul-Nov '24.
Silene

Post by Silene »

it happened when i was writing in a personal message chatbox while playing a realtime game. idk if that's related. happens when i play with the person i'm chatting with and also when i play with someone else. the chatbox is NOT the chatbox on the game table
Hosting Allround-League: https://boardgamearena.com/group?id=7870115 --> a league where you have matches of random games vs. other players in your group - season 7 running in Jul-Nov '24.
Silene

Post by Silene »

After some more testing it seems to be independent from game. in game chatbox everything is normal. just personal chatbox is messed up.

his --> his
his turn --> her turn
his his his his his --> her his her his his

so a single his stays, but if something is behind it it gets change to "her". my friend i was chatting with also saw what i saw. so we did see the same thing. only problem is: i know what i typed before pressing return. and that was "his turn" and not "her turn". it doesn't happen to what my friend (male) is typing. only to what i (female) am typing
Een

Post by Een »

Thanks for the detailed extra information. Last time I couldn't reproduce this, I'll try again with the extra details.
Een

Post by Een »

Ok, I finally managed to track this thanks to your comment about a realtime game and a little luck having both windows opened at the same time: this issue happens only in private chatboxes while playing in a game.

It will be fixed with the next release.

Return to “Discussions”