Page 2 of 3
Re: Bounty Alert: $100 for 3p Corp Era Prelude Colony Arena Season
Posted: 28 September 2026, 09:00
by RicardoRix
Yahyra wrote: ↑28 September 2026, 02:26
RicardoRix wrote: ↑26 September 2026, 21:29
Those games do not get a guru vote. The seasons are on a rotation. I think 7 wonders, is 3p,4p,3p,5p. Or something like that.
Interesting; I may be skipping a sticky post somewhere that just explains this; what determines which games get gurus to vote for arena seasons? At one point I think I was guru voting for Arnak, Gizmos, perhaps a few others...
Get someone sensible and respected to start a forum thread with different possible intended season rotations. Get people to vote for which scenario they prefer, and seek a BGA Admin to implement.
Or perhaps better: Alternatively seek a BGA Admin first to discuss if it's possible and the best way to do it.
Re: Bounty Alert: $100 for 3p Corp Era Prelude Colony Arena Season
Posted: 28 September 2026, 09:15
by rambling_coherently
FrankJones wrote: ↑28 September 2026, 04:06
I somehow got stropped of my guruship in a game in which I was 2nd in Arena last season and am currently 3rd this season. WTF ?????
Guru status is determined by how many games you've played in the last 30 days. You have 5 (or 8, if Unranked Friendly games count) games of Aquatica in the last 30 days.
Re: Bounty Alert: $100 for 3p Corp Era Prelude Colony Arena Season
Posted: 28 September 2026, 09:16
by Azoken
FrankJones wrote: ↑28 September 2026, 04:06
I somehow got stropped of my guruship in a game in which I was 2nd in Arena last season and am currently 3rd this season. WTF ?????
Not sure if joking but guruship is based on the number of game played (no filter : any game) so what you tell is rather not relevant.
Re: Bounty Alert: $100 for 3p Corp Era Prelude Colony Arena Season
Posted: 28 September 2026, 09:21
by rambling_coherently
RicardoRix wrote: ↑26 September 2026, 16:39
I could be wrong, but I believe some other games have a fixed rotation of options to make sure it's slightly fairer and has more variation.
Might be worth chasing that idea. 7 wonders and Terra Mysica spring to mind.
There is zero reason to do that for Terraforming Mars. The gurus have chosen excellent arena rules for the last ~5 seasons of Terraforming Mars which has made for a very competitive (and active!) arena environment.
3p Colonies would be an extremely bad format for Terraforming Mars Arena.
Re: Bounty Alert: $100 for 3p Corp Era Prelude Colony Arena Season
Posted: 28 September 2026, 09:28
by FrankJones
rambling_coherently wrote: ↑28 September 2026, 09:15
FrankJones wrote: ↑28 September 2026, 04:06
I somehow got stropped of my guruship in a game in which I was 2nd in Arena last season and am currently 3rd this season. WTF ?????
Guru status is determined by how many games you've played in the last 30 days. You have 5 (or 8, if Unranked Friendly games count) games of Aquatica in the last 30 days.
Ah, that's right, I forgot that it is only the last 30 days. I played most of my arena games earlier in the season.
Re: Bounty Alert: $100 for 3p Corp Era Prelude Colony Arena Season
Posted: 28 September 2026, 09:30
by FrankJones
Azoken wrote: ↑28 September 2026, 09:16
FrankJones wrote: ↑28 September 2026, 04:06
I somehow got stropped of my guruship in a game in which I was 2nd in Arena last season and am currently 3rd this season. WTF ?????
Not sure if joking but guruship is based on the number of game played (no filter : any game) so what you tell is rather not relevant.
I was serious. Aquatica is not a highly played game. My games played surely puts me in the top 100; however, as Rambling_coherently noted, my games were mostly more than 30 days ago.
To me, this is an odd way of doing this. I would think all games played during the current arena season would count toward being a guru for voting on the upcoming season.
[Just to emphasize the point, for this game, there are only 70-ish players who have even played ONE arena game this season. ]
Re: Bounty Alert: $100 for 3p Corp Era Prelude Colony Arena Season
Posted: 28 September 2026, 09:54
by Azoken
FrankJones wrote: ↑28 September 2026, 09:30
Azoken wrote: ↑28 September 2026, 09:16
FrankJones wrote: ↑28 September 2026, 04:06
I somehow got stropped of my guruship in a game in which I was 2nd in Arena last season and am currently 3rd this season. WTF ?????
Not sure if joking but guruship is based on the number of game played (no filter : any game) so what you tell is rather not relevant.
I was serious. Aquatica is not a highly played game. My games played surely puts me in the top 100; however, as Rambling_coherently noted, my games were mostly more than 30 days ago.
To me, this is an odd way of doing this. I would think all games played during the current arena season would count toward being a guru for voting on the upcoming season.
[Just to emphasize the point, for this game, there are only 70-ish players who have even played ONE arena game this season. ]
Let me emphasize it : all games count not only Arena's. In your case, if hundreds of friendly games were done, none of those 70 players would qualify to guruship
Re: Bounty Alert: $100 for 3p Corp Era Prelude Colony Arena Season
Posted: 28 September 2026, 09:56
by FrankJones
Azoken wrote: ↑28 September 2026, 09:54
FrankJones wrote: ↑28 September 2026, 09:30
Azoken wrote: ↑28 September 2026, 09:16
Not sure if joking but guruship is based on the number of game played (no filter : any game) so what you tell is rather not relevant.
I was serious. Aquatica is not a highly played game. My games played surely puts me in the top 100; however, as Rambling_coherently noted, my games were mostly more than 30 days ago.
To me, this is an odd way of doing this. I would think all games played during the current arena season would count toward being a guru for voting on the upcoming season.
[Just to emphasize the point, for this game, there are only 70-ish players who have even played ONE arena game this season. ]
Let me emphasize it : all games count not only Arena's. In your case, if hundreds of friendly games were done, none of those 70 players would qualify to guruship
I'm aware.
This game doesn't seem to have a high play-rate of non-arena games either.
The issue, as noted above, is I haven't played much in the past 30 days.
____
All of BGA combined plays this game approximately 1500 games a month.
A small number of high-volume player account for a large number of those plays. Someone who plays 15 games in a month would almost certainly be in the top 100 for most games played, and I'm rather surprised that 8 games played does not put someone in the top 100.
The math isn't adding up.
Re: Bounty Alert: $100 for 3p Corp Era Prelude Colony Arena Season
Posted: 28 September 2026, 15:36
by Lytical
rambling_coherently wrote: ↑28 September 2026, 09:21
3p Colonies would be an extremely bad format for Terraforming Mars Arena.
2p Colony with prelude corps is bad, there is no counter for certain setups. 3p Colony sans prelude corps is interesting with prelude bc the other 2 players can counter by ignoring Colony in certain extent to rush together or heavily investing in Colony and engine to counter rush. The larger resource pool gives the players more freedom and 2v1 options. It could be fun in theory, just need to test the meta out. Unfortunately there is little useful data since players who run Colony tend to include Venus as well.
Re: Bounty Alert: $100 for 3p Corp Era Prelude Colony Arena Season
Posted: 29 September 2026, 17:10
by FrankJones
Wow. I just got the notification for guru voting, and already there are a lot of votes. It's not looking good for 3-player. Or colonies.