would it work?

Forum rules
Please DO NOT POST BUGS on this forum. Please report (and vote) bugs on : https://boardgamearena.com/#!bugs
shccer

would it work?

Post by shccer »

had an idea for a clue in a recent game. i didn't end up giving that clue cause i cuoldn't decide if it was a valid one. was wondering what you all think.

i was player 1. the clue i was considering is giving 4 to player 4 to clue their 4w in the hope it would play the following cards in order:
multi 1, y1, w2, w3, w4

it's kind of weird cause it's sort of a self layered, but my line of thinking is, for everyone who isn't player 4 it should be pretty clear it's layered - players 2 and 3 know they can't have 2w, and player 5 sees a line of playable cards leading to 2w, and the 3w at finesse position in player 3's hand.
player 4 not seeing anything in other players hand that would make sense of that 4 clue, should think they have either 1-4 in their hand or 5k on finesse, either way it should make them play their clued 1 first, and then finesse position. seeing that no one reacted to the 4, and knowing this wouldn't have worked as just a bluff they should keep digging finding the 2w causing player 3 to then play their 3w at finesse.

i think the logic works but im wondering if there's something im missing and if the clue would have worked from my position.
Attachments
hanabi.png
hanabi.png (37.47 KiB) Viewed 619 times
Romain672

Re: would it work?

Post by Romain672 »

Hello, so this what I call 'hgroup's layered finesse' (it's annoying because both bga and hgroup came with a move they called layered finesse).
But what is that?

Start of game.
B: x-x-x-x
C: y1-r1-x-x
D: x-x-r2-x
A clues red on r2 to D.

From B's pov, B has two choices:
- assuming they play with 'hgroup's layered finesse' and so is allowed to discard
- assume it's a bluff/finesse on him and play his first slot as r1

You need to decide which way you are playing with before the game because that causes many problems: B can discard a 5 in his chop or bomb a 5 in his finesse position.
By default, bga play without those, so B would play his slot 1.

But the main upside is after C played y1, he knows that B didn't played r1 and let C play a bluff which is 'illegal'. So why did he do that?
And so conventionnally, C will continue to play, which is 3 cards played/known instead of 2.

Now if we take back your situation, players 2&3 can see both w2, so can work what will happen.
Player 4 will see no w2 in finesse position and will play m1 the first turn.
Player 5 will assume the w2 is on player 4, so will not play.
Player 4 second turn will continue to play, and at that point, everyone will know what's going on (except player 4 which is layered again).
So it work even if you play without 'hgroup's layered finesse', yay :mrgreen:
Blacktango

Re: would it work?

Post by Blacktango »

Note that P2 could also give the clue instead of you.

Return to “Hanabi”