Is there a possibility of getting Terra Mystica style auction?

Forum rules
Please DO NOT POST BUGS on this forum. Please report (and vote) bugs on : https://boardgamearena.com/bugs
Wonderful Plays

Is there a possibility of getting Terra Mystica style auction?

Post by Wonderful Plays »

The code shouldn't be a problem, so is there a possibility?
What should we do to get it?
I completely understand why publisher didn't include it, but here I think it would be wonderful for those who want to include it and give a lot of options to faction selection.
Matis_

Re: Is there a possibility of getting Terra Mystica style auction?

Post by Matis_ »

I agree, i think is needed, also adds another strategic part to the game.
Wonderful Plays

Another cool idea would be faction bans in player order (Gaia Project has that).
Due to 4 player games it should probably not be possible to ban the same colored faction that has already been banned.
I think that might be my favorite request to be implemented, even better than auction.
JTHEJACKAL

Post by JTHEJACKAL »

I think that something is needed. I personally think that there are 4 strongest factions and the current options limit replay ability

If it’s random board, you just try and get lucky and then choose the best one
If it’s player select you just hope to be early

Furthermore, I think that the punishment for being 4th player is higher in TN than TM, and there is no way to account for it
gratpoil

Post by gratpoil »

I totally agree that we need auction. In my opinion it solves every probleme of balance as we can see in terra Mystica. For exemple, i think Sun Worshipper are overpowered at 2 players, they are really hard to beat because of the last house they drop in last position, and because their left palace is really powerfull to change your cities plan in the midlle of the game if needed, or to crush opponent plans but with auction, you can even select inventors or druids and then, auction will make the balance. So it allows to be way more creative in your games. I'm tired of games betwen, leprechauns, fairies and Sw in whatever combinaison. Whereas i love the 2 players with planner version. And then, i think it would also really improve the multiplayer experience.
Phoxtrot

Post by Phoxtrot »

For me, the biggest balance problem isn't the faction in itself.
It's having 0, 1 or 2 opponents playing an adjacent color.

So I don't think that the TM auction is actually the best to balance as you are bidding without necessarily knowing how many adjacent colors will be played to each of the popular factions.

So I would prefer that the colors to be played are chosen randomly (1 per player) and then players bid for those colors.
This way, you know how difficult it will be to get those territories for each faction.
Wonderful Plays

I've created a suggestion for this:
https://boardgamearena.com/bug?id=115882

It worked for Gaia project to get those features it might work for us, please upvote if you agree with it and comment on the suggestion if you disagree about particular things. :)

All hail Terra Nova! 8-)

Return to “Terra Nova”