Does UFO break the game?

Forum rules
Please DO NOT POST BUGS on this forum. Please report (and vote) bugs on : https://boardgamearena.com/bugs
1000esqrtn1

Does UFO break the game?

Post by 1000esqrtn1 »

I have been playing Challengers quite often recently (mainly 4p). I figured out that most players know which are the best cards and meta decks are quite clear, specially now that many top1 have shared their tier lists. One of this top cards is UFO, which on average I tend to see 1 player with 1 copy and an another player with 2 copies each game.

I agree with Andrewsmile take that, on a single round, UFO is not as powerful as sailor as the ability to place your 7th unique under your deck may be stronger than getting a random 7th unique. For me the problem though, is that you can actually keep those two extra cards that UFO gives you.

If one player gets an UFO on R3 and a second one on R4 (not that rare actually), this player will receive 14! extra cards by the start of R7 and 18! extra cards before the Final. Keep in mind that one player drafts up to 14 cards (plus some extra if you use spaceshifter or scifi). The amount of extra cards that the 2 UFO player receives is insane and can allow many synergies and build decks that other players can't make with just 14 picks. I have been on both sides of this scenario, and the deck made by the 2 UFO player has been extremely hard to match for a player who built a "regular" deck. It feels a bit frustrating to play a game where you are in such disadvantage because another player obtained the double of your cards, I'm starting to hate UFO.

I think that if UFO gave you that extra cards for the single round only, its power would be more in line with other cards. Getting a 7th and 8th unique guaranteed at the end of your deck is a last effort to take the flag once your opponents deck is empty, something similar of what necromancer and sailor do.

What is your take on this? Do you think UFO should be capped?
Wonderful Plays

Re: Does UFO break the game?

Post by Wonderful Plays »

I think it should be changed to just get 1 card, it would still be good, just not the best card in the game.
But knowing how rarely boardgames get updates like that, I'm not even hoping for that to happen.

Another thing we don't know is how the expansion changes the dynamic. Maybe there is so many good stuff there that it overshadows UFO and it's no longer a top card. The only way to know is to have it ported here and play a bunch between top players.

Return to “Challengers”