Poor designer with no programming background

Game development with Board Game Arena Studio
Alan Law is awesome

Poor designer with no programming background

Post by Alan Law is awesome »

Hello all,

I am a board game designer from Hong Kong, I have designed a game and made a prototype and tested with my friends, I would like to make an online version so it can be reached by more people. The game board is quite similar to the game "Saboteur", I have just created this account but I have no programming background, what should I start with?
This is how the game looks when play.

Thank you so much for helping.

Best regards
Alan Law is awesome

Re: Poor designer with no programming background

An other sample of how the game plays.
imralav

Post by imralav »

Are you interested in bringing this game to BGA yourself or letting someone else do it?
Alan Law is awesome

imralav wrote: 09 May 2024, 08:22 Are you interested in bringing this game to BGA yourself or letting someone else do it?
I am interested in bringing it to BGA myself and I am following the Tutorial reversi right now. It seems so difficult for me.
imralav

Post by imralav »

It will surely be difficult if you have no prior programming experience. I would suggest just spending a few weeks on the coding in general. Find some resources on programming in php. There must be some free ones out there. If not, use chatgpt to generate theory and exercises for you.

Then do the same, but for javascript.

Then come back to BGA tutorials to learn the engine.

There is no shortcut here, my friend, need to do the homework and learn coding in general first. It will be an amazing journey though, definitely something to look forward to. The only tip I can give you for now is to practice as much as possible. Come up with problems to solve using code and code it up. As mentioned before, I make heavy use of chatgpt to generate tasks and give me knowledge when I learn a new thing, so I definitely suggest this as a good support.
Alan Law is awesome

imralav wrote: 09 May 2024, 09:23 It will surely be difficult if you have no prior programming experience. I would suggest just spending a few weeks on the coding in general. Find some resources on programming in php. There must be some free ones out there. If not, use chatgpt to generate theory and exercises for you.

Then do the same, but for javascript.

Then come back to BGA tutorials to learn the engine.

There is no shortcut here, my friend, need to do the homework and learn coding in general first. It will be an amazing journey though, definitely something to look forward to. The only tip I can give you for now is to practice as much as possible. Come up with problems to solve using code and code it up. As mentioned before, I make heavy use of chatgpt to generate tasks and give me knowledge when I learn a new thing, so I definitely suggest this as a good support.
Thanks mate, I found some tutorial from BGA that shows some examples for a few games and was quite helpful. But the problem was I don't know how to type in those codes. Can you tell me how to type in those codes or should I upload the file?
Spiegel428

Post by Spiegel428 »

Alan Law is awesome wrote: 12 May 2024, 18:09 Thanks mate, I found some tutorial from BGA that shows some examples for a few games and was quite helpful. But the problem was I don't know how to type in those codes. Can you tell me how to type in those codes or should I upload the file?
Have you considered having the game on platforms that don't have rule enforcement? Those don't require programming experience and might be a better fit for a prototype.

Return to “Developers”